Tuesday 17 February 2015

Beginnings


I've loved Virginia Woolf ever since I read To the Lighthouse and Mrs Dalloway as a teenager. Even then I realized her writing was unusual, with its focus on thoughts, feelings and inner-worlds. I so wished she was on my A level syllabus instead of the usual Dickens and Austen *sigh*

And now 35 years later, I've decided to start this blog dedicated to this extraordinary woman, her writing and the people in her life. Just today, I joined the Virginia Woolf Society of Great Britain (there's a button the sidebar). 

Part of me is thinking, 'Surely, there's more than enough on the internet about Virginia already. Who wants to read your two penneth?' And the answer is, 'Maybe no one.' And the truth is, they don't need to...

I am writing this purely for myself, my own interest, to work out why I'm fascinated by this woman and her life... If others do read it, and pitch in, I'll be thrilled - I do so enjoy good conversation!





1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire, 3rd blog, wow! you are doing so good and what a great idea, Virginia W. I love her stories, strong women, for sure I'm following your blog.
    Most women our age and older appreciate her work, but I have a feeling that younger generations don't. It would be great if your blog could reach them.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to join in with your thoughts and insights. Yes, I'm writing this for my own pleasure, but it's always fun to share with others :)